EU to ban cars from cities by 2050: from UK Telegraph click here to read
US Banks in ‘Cash for Keys’ Foreclosure Talks: from CNBC click here to read
Now if you offer someone who is hopelessly upside down on their mortgage $21,000 to hand over their keys, do you think they are going to live on the street? No they are simply being “incentivized” to live in more “sustainable” housing. Like maybe “Employer-Provided” housing similar to China’s FoxConn Corporation where employee housing sleeps 8 to a dorm room, and where safety nets are installed for suicide jumpers.
Interestingly, the City of Asheville is already planning for ”Employer Provided Housing” , AND for when cars are banned there. The following is cut and pasted from Asheville’s Smart Growth Initiative, click here to read.
2. Target City assistance to encourage housing developments that have good access to transportation infrastructure (transit, bike lanes, sidewalks) and services; including the preservation of affordable downtown housing.
3. Review and evaluate updates to the Consolidated Plan with regard to Smart Growth and Sustainable Economic Development objectives and policies.
2. Identify and support regional efforts to increase the supply of affordable housing, including employer-provided programs.
3. Provide financial and organizational support for non-profit housing developers and financial support for affordable housing produced by for-profit developers.
4. Develop and implement a public education program targeted at improving public awareness of the extent of the affordable housing problem and addressing neighborhood compatibility concerns.
I hope the citizens of Asheville start flooding their County Commissioner and City Council meetings, if not these programs will continue to spiral out of control.